Author Topic: Dead cover bands  (Read 585 times)

Offline JRL

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Dead cover bands
« on: October 06, 2018, 02:56:17 PM »
I remember way back when, when Garcia was still alive hearing the Deadbeats, one of the first Dead cover bands and being more than a little creeped out. At that point I knew the music buy hadnt played much of it since trying to learn the tunes on Skull Fuck when i was a teenager. Since Garcia checked out there has been a rash and rush of bands playing the Grateful Deads extensive book. Now Im often called on to play the tunes made famous by the great band.

And I really love playing those tunes, especially the ones that open up for some outside jamming. Most of the time they are just tunes on a list, part of a bigger repertoire but this last weekend I played 2 shows with the Saints of Circumstance, all Dead or JGB tunes. And while it is a pretty good band and some great songs,  it felt a little weird.
Now Ive seen DSO 4 times and they do a spot on imitation of the OGs. And again, while Ive enjoyed the shows it did feel a little weird.
Your thoughts?
a group of us, on peyote, had little to share with a group on marijuana

the marijuana smokers were discussing questions of the utmost profundity and we were sticking our fingers in our navels & giggling
                  Jack Green

Offline meme

• View Profile
Re: Dead cover bands
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2018, 12:02:48 PM »
DSO = great cover band
John Mayer = makes me miss Jerry so much I’m sad

By which I mean Dead and Co is a terrible knock off of DSO.  You can have original remembers and still feel like a cover band :(. While the energy of the scene around dead and co has increased, I just can only appreciate the most minor of positive aspects around how the music has developed.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 12:06:23 PM by meme »

Offline JRL

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2018, 01:55:54 PM »
Look, John cant help it hes not Garcia. Nobody is. But John Mayer is a great guitar player and singer. I had that attitude when I saw DSO last but then i saw a video of the Dead playing. I think this version of the Dead is fucking great!! What DSO does it is amazing but they AINT THE DEAD. )I always feel a little like Im at a Hippie Theme Park when i see DSO. Id rather see some guys playing Dead tunes and OTHER stuff in their own way. But Mayer and Otiel bring them into now. Bands like the Dead transcend the members, the music is bigger than anyone. Ever see the Glen Miller Orchestra. Glens been gone for a number of years but the music still lives. We are ALL DEAD!

the marijuana smokers were discussing questions of the utmost profundity and we were sticking our fingers in our navels & giggling
                  Jack Green

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 10:36:09 AM »
What I have always enjoyed about the dead, the music as well as the shows and the following/scene is that it has the wave form of being reassuringly familiar and refreshingly new each time.

No two dead shows are ever alike, and while the backbone of what you know and love about the dead and dead shows remains consistent, its an ever changing, always evolving, almost living entity.

...I mean, when Donna and Keith came on before pig died, and then after pig the band acquired one sound, then when Keith and Donna left and Brent Mydland came on the band acquired another sound and feel, you know? So in my eyes its not necessarily one person that can make or brake the dead, but that every new member is simply a continuation of the evolution of the band, the music, the shows, and the following.

I am incredibly grateful that the dead still exists, and that I can go to a dead show and participate in something that has been consistent as well as growing and changing since 1965.

I always loved jerry's thinking that by leaving the dead undefined that it in a sense becomes everything. Its almost like the blind men and the elephant, everybody has a totally different idea of exactly what the dead and the dead following actually was.

Any way, while we all look upon the dead's past with a warm and fond nostalgia I am still enthusiastic about participating in the dead future. I am also quite grateful that I have been able to experience the dead at all in my young life, and all though the old days can never be recreated, the new days are a blessing in and of themselves.

The dead's music has been lifting my burdens since I was young, and has been the background and sound track to some if the most peak ecstatic experiences that I have ever had. Its almost like dead shows are events of rebirth and renewal, specially when LSD is involved. I can't even describe all the love that I have found through the dead, and all the happiness and magic that comes with participating in a dead show...

Ok, back to dead cover bands, I saw a band called "shakedown street" that was pretty awesome.

Offline JRL

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 02:09:12 PM »
I had a real thrill last weekend. Id did a show with Matt Rainey and Dippin Sauce. We play a lot psychedelic blues, Americana, and we can do a full night of Dead covers. The gig was in the heart of Dead territory, 19 Broadway in Fairfax, in Marin County, CA. We were blessed by having Phil's keyboard player Scott Guberman join us. As usually we did about half Dead covers and the rest Matts originals and some deep blues. What a treat it was!! Scott is a lot like Brent, mostly plays organ and sings the high parts. After being just a little star struck and nervous we just totally got it on for 4 hours. And what a nice unpretentious cat Scott is! I remember playing Cassidy and thinking "the last time this guy played this song Bob Weir was probably singing it. Ive gotten to play with Melvin too.

Playing that music with these guys, in Marin is like a life long dream. I got a full adult dose of Dead!  The music never stopped because its bigger than any of us, including Garcia.

Jack Green

Offline JRL

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 02:11:09 PM »
Im gonna put this in its own post too. Shameless self promotion? Im all about that.

Jack Green

Offline judih

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 10:50:56 PM »
self-promotion and sharing the experience!

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2018, 09:45:17 AM »
Speaking of dead cover bands:

·Roots of creation - grateful dub

While these guys are An actual reggae band, and not a cover band, they did release An album of dead covers titled "grateful dub".

I thought the album was great.

I love all types of music. Of coarse the dead and related acts are my all time favorites, but I listen to every type of music out there. Reggae music has to be up near the dead when it comes to my favorite musical styles, I have always loved reggae about as much as I love the dead.

So when I found a good reggae album of dead songs it made my day.

Most cross genre dead cover albums are not worth the time, however RoC actually did an amazing job. Its good reggae and good dead, and it's preformed in a manner which should keep the reggae lover and the deadhead in you satisfied.

speaking of shows: I just saw the dead this last July in boulder, Colorado at Folsom field. The show was great.

Offline JRL

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2018, 02:45:20 PM »
There was an album of reggae bands covering Dead tunes years ago as well. I also love Deadicated. Elvis Costello and James Burton doing Ship of Fools? Too much! Los Lobos of course do great Dead covers and were the first band Garcia played with after his coma. I saw them last month and they did Not fade Away into Bertha and just killed it.

Jack Green