Author Topic: What's Your Best Albums of 2016?  (Read 1661 times)

Offline cenacle

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
What's Your Best Albums of 2016?
« on: December 15, 2016, 12:34:25 PM »
We haven't done this here in awhile, so starting it up again :) Here are mine:
  • Quilt, Plaza
  • Chris Pureka, Back in the Ring
  • The Jayhawks, Paging Mr. Proust
  • Mudcrutch, Mudcrutch 2
  • Paul Simon, Stranger to Stranger
  • Avett Brothers, True Sadness
  • Felice Brothers, Life in the Dark
  • The Pixies, Head Carrier
  • Conor Oberst, Ruminations
  • Leonard Cohen, You Want It Darker
  • Drive-By Truckers, American Band
  • Green Day, Revolution Radio

Offline judih

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: What's Your Best Albums of 2016?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 11:46:11 PM »
I stopped doing albums a while ago.
My youtube playlists this year went from:
Rolling Stones - Beast of Burden (sung by anyone I could find)
Playing for Change - with every new compilation, I'm more in love with this world-wide concept
Leonard Cohen - You Want it Darker
Radiohead - Creep - (sung by anyone I could find)

and the rest a potpourri of Coltrane (Naima), Dolphy (God Bless the Child), Sun Ra (Travel the Spaceways)
and tracks by Red Band (the Israeli Puppet folks who sing with cool Israeli stars - all in English, all great tracks)

Offline JRL

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 12:48:26 PM »
Playing for Change one of my favorite concepts, and so well done. I dont buy albums much, but I was gifted with Blue and Lonesome, the Rolling Stones new blues record. Its pretty good, been growing on me. Im also really digging a record called "I'm Bagged and All In" by my friend Johnny Guitar Knox who passed away in 2016. Ive been digging some newer jazz stuff Ive had to learn for this band Im playing with. I call it Jazz Top 40, a lot of Diana Krall, Karen Allison, Eva Cassidy plus some classic bossa novas and standards. Im also digging stuff by Tommy Miles, a honkey tonk country rocker./ Im working on his 4th CD with him and am planning on touring with him. He wrote and record with Delany Bramlett, Spooner Oldham and Leon Russell. So much of what I listen to is stuff Im learning and recordings by my friends. If you like more adventurous stuff, there is a guy named Ross Hammond who is like a one man free jazz industry and plays with some of the well known guys in that genre. He tours constantly so he might be coming to a venue near you. Plays New York a lot and just got back from Japan.
a group of us, on peyote, had little to share with a group on marijuana

the marijuana smokers were discussing questions of the utmost profundity and we were sticking our fingers in our navels & giggling
                  Jack Green

Offline judih

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 09:35:21 PM »
bossa nova has never been a thing with me, but Fragile - love that song (try the Stevie Wonder/Sting version)

thanks jrl for the notes.  (and may the tour go well)

Offline JRL

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 06:33:13 PM »
So albums of the year is not my thing, I stopped keeping up a long time ago, but some new CDs Im digging by my favorite guitar player John Scofield get as lot of play. One is Piety Street. Sco had been thinking of a blues record but decided to do a gospel one instead. Did it with some great New Orleans musicians and singers. His latest (I think) is called Country for Old Men. He usses various country tunes as jumping of points for some great blowing.

the marijuana smokers were discussing questions of the utmost profundity and we were sticking our fingers in our navels & giggling
                  Jack Green

Offline judih

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 11:59:42 PM »
will go looking!

Offline JRL

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 01:43:16 PM »
What i have done lately is acquire stuff I had on vinyl or just dug. Got Forest Flower by Charles Lloyd. One of the first jazz players to embrace psychedicism. He played with the Dead at the Be In. Also the Harder They Come sound track. This is the true beginning of world wide interest in reggae. Before Bob Marley was Jimmy Cliff and my personal musical sherpa Jimmy Cliff.

Jack Green

Offline JRL

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 05:44:18 PM »
Albums are pretty much over. I know we (Tommy Miles and MileStones) are just cutting tunes and not really thinking about a hard CD again. Its too hard to sell enough copies to pay for the expense of getting the dupes made let alone production costs. Good musicians need to get paid and even if you have your own studio you got to keep dumping money into upkeep and upgrades. At least we dont have to buy tape. 24 track tape used to cost $200 for a 15 mi minute reel, probably more now if you can even find any.

Jack Green