Author Topic: Serotonergic psychedelics and personality change  (Read 132 times)

Serotonergic psychedelics and personality change
« on: November 03, 2018, 05:34:14 AM »
Personally, after intense use of LSD, Psilocybin, and what ultimately came to a peak with a high dose DMT experience, I had noticed that deep changes had occurred in my personality. A good deal of my neurosis had vanished, and depression which I had suffered from since youth had also gone. I felt reborn, I felt as if I had let go of all that was preventing me from living a happy and productive life. I also had major substance abuse struggles, which to this day have been completely under control since these experiences.

All of these changes occurred about 7 years ago, and have been permanent and long lasting.

It was as if I had been transformed into a new, and better person. To me it was a miracle, however, to science these changes in personality that occur with serotonergic psychedelics can be explained in a far more reasonable manner:

Abstract
In the past decade, an increasing number of clinical trials are reporting evidence that psychedelics or serotonergic hallucinogens (such as lysergic acid diethylamide, psilocybin, and ayahuasca/dimethyltryptamine) could be effective in the treatment of mood, anxiety, and substance use disorders. The mechanisms responsible for these effects are not fully understood but seem to involve changes in bran dynamics in areas rich in serotonergic 5-HT2A receptors and in personality. In the present text, we present a brief and critical overview of the current research in this field, pointing out both promises and limitations of these studies.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29863323

Serotonergic psychedelics and personality: A systematic review of contemporary research.
Abstract
Serotonergic psychedelics act as agonists at cortical 5-HT2A receptors and seem to induce personality changes. We conducted a systematic review of studies assessing the effects of these drugs on personality. Papers published from 1985-2016 were included from PubMed, LILACS, and SciELO databases. Three hundred and sixty-nine studies were identified, and 18 were included. Specific personality traits, such as Absorption and Self-Transcendence, seem to influence the effects of psychedelics, and psychedelic drug users and nonusers appear to differ in some personality traits. Psychedelics administered in controlled settings may induce personality changes, such as increased Openness and Self-Transcendence. Increases in global brain entropy induced by acute psychedelic administration predicted changes in Openness, and Self-Transcendence was negatively correlated with cortical thinning of the posterior cingulate cortex in long-term religious ayahuasca users. Acute and long-term use of psychedelics is associated with personality changes that appear to be modulated by 5-HT2A receptors. These changes seem to induce therapeutic effects that should be further explored in randomized controlled studies.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29452127
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5867510/

Re: Serotonergic psychedelics and personality change
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2018, 05:40:24 AM »
Patients taking psilocybin to treat depression show reduced symptoms weeks after treatment following a 'reset' of their brain activity.

The findings come from a study in which researchers from Imperial College London used psilocybin -- the psychoactive compound that occurs naturally in magic mushrooms -- to treat a small number of patients with depression in whom conventional treatment had failed.

In a paper, published today in the journal Scientific Reports, the researchers describe patient-reported benefits lasting up to five weeks after treatment, and believe the psychedelic compound may effectively reset the activity of key brain circuits known to play a role in depression.

Comparison of images of patients' brains before and one day after they received the drug treatment revealed changes in brain activity that were associated with marked and lasting reductions in depressive symptoms.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/10/171013091018.htm

Re: Serotonergic psychedelics and personality change
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2018, 05:41:50 AM »
This article even suggests that psychedelic compounds can reduce criminal behaviour:

Psychedelic drugs may reduce criminal behavior
Illicit substances may be effective interventions to crime
Date:
October 23, 2017
Source:
University of British Columbia Okanagan campus
Summary:
Newly published research suggests that common psychedelic drugs -- such as 'magic mushrooms', LSD and mescaline (a substance derived from the peyote cactus) -- may reduce criminal offenses. The new study found that psychedelic drugs are associated with a decreased likelihood of antisocial criminal behavior.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/10/171023101753.htm