Author Topic: Acacia Koa  (Read 2044 times)

Offline Fishcake

• View Profile
Acacia Koa
« on: April 17, 2015, 03:27:32 AM »
Hello,

I am new.  Recently, I discovered that several Acacia species were being investigated for containing interesting alkaloids.  Mostly I'm hearing about Acacia confusa.  However, I understand it is speculated Acacia koa may also be a likely candidate.

This interests me because I start many koa seedlings yearly as part of an amateur reforestation project.  Does anyone know if analysis has been done on any part of koa?  Internet searches are coming up nil so far. 

Thanks!

Offline Stonehenge

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Acacia Koa
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 08:08:17 PM »
No, i don't know myself but most acacias seem to have alkaloids in them. Might be a little bit of dmt or something.
Stoney

Offline OnandOnandOn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 07:50:59 PM »
iam pretty sure Formosa KOA, Acacia Confusa, and rainbow tree are all the same tree, and the most popular replacement for MimosaH.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 07:55:58 PM by OnandOnandOn »

Offline Genius Loci

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 08:45:15 PM »
Why are you sure of that?  Koa is native to Hawaii and perhaps surrounds, and unless they do something to the wood, it differs markedly in appearance.  It's a great craft wood tree, but looks nothing like the admittedly small amount of confusa (or horrida) I've seen.

Offline Himdumb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2015, 04:10:33 PM »
I think you both are correct-ish, except OaOaO seemed to be confused by the taxonomy (is is ofter very confusing)  Fomosa Koa is a synonym of Acacia confusa, rainbow tree.  But Acacia koa is a different species that i believe is only found in Hawai'i

The plant is listed in the nexus wiki, but there is no info on the plant.  I would put it in the possible suspect group for sure.

Offline kratomking

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2016, 02:30:40 AM »
I've always thought the acacias had a large amount of alkaloids.. and formosa KOA and rainow tree are the same, right?