Author Topic: Brug question  (Read 553 times)

Offline JRL

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Brug question
« on: May 16, 2018, 02:03:49 PM »
One of my brugs has a rare seed pod. Whats the best way to get viable seed? When to harvest?
a group of us, on peyote, had little to share with a group on marijuana

the marijuana smokers were discussing questions of the utmost profundity and we were sticking our fingers in our navels & giggling
                  Jack Green

Offline Wakinyan

• View Profile
Re: Brug question
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 05:04:29 PM »
Brugmansia are like cantaloupe. I.e. when a cantaloupe is ripe the stem will turn yellow. The same with Brugmansia, when the seed pod is ripe the stem will turn yellow. The pod will then become yellow a few days later and if left on the tree will dry up and generally the pod gets some insects at that time that will rob them of their fertility.

My suggestion, keep an eye on that stem each and every day when you come home. The moment you notice it goes from green to light green go ahead and pick it early. Their is nothing to be gained by waiting till it turns completely yellow.

You mention it is a rare pod... I'm guessing you only have 1 Brugmansia as Brugmansia will generally set seed very heavily if another Brugmansia seedling or cultivar is near it. Now, if there are only clones of it around... then generally no seed pods as well. However, Brugmansia can have pods develop if a Datura pollen gets on it. That seed is generally infertile however as I have tried that myself many times. In fact, in most cases the pods seeds fail to develop at all and you get a seed pod that is empty or nearly empty.

Offline JRL

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 12:16:57 PM »
No I got 4 big ones. All from you. But pods are rare surprisingly. Thank you for the info.

the marijuana smokers were discussing questions of the utmost profundity and we were sticking our fingers in our navels & giggling
                  Jack Green

Offline JRL

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 12:17:42 PM »
And three different clones.

Jack Green

Offline Wakinyan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 01:51:53 PM »
3 different clones... I would expect more than an occasional seed pod. Some hybrids are notoriously bad for setting seeds however. Some also have poor pollen. With that being said, weather can also affect the pollen. I often double tap the stigma with pollen once in the morning and once at night. The pollen is at its best when it is nice and fluffy and loaded to the hilt. The stigma itself seems to be most receptive when it curls into what resembles rams horns. However, you an also pollinate when the stigma is relatively dry and unchanged in shape with good effect so long as the stigma is not overly dry enough pollen should stick. If one truly desires a pod and one has pollinated both day and night. One cut the pistil in half the next day and pollinate again.

For me, I won't even wait for the pistil to mature. I cut open the flower and pollinate it long before the pistil has reached its full length. This enables me to get many extra pollination attempts if the hybrid is especially difficult.

My suggestion, start hand pollinating a few dozen flowers and see if you can get at least 1/2 of them to take. Mother nature does her best, but sometimes she needs a helping hand.